Friday, March 26, 2010

RAGING OWLBEAR! ...again?


I've recently been commissioned to paint some minis for a fellow gamer on my favorite play-by-post site, www.d6d20.com

He liked the owlbear from an earlier post here on the OOD.  The Owlbear is a Dungeon Crawl Classics mini, sculpted by Jason Wiebe, distributed by Goodman Games.  I really enjoy painting this mini - my fellow gamer requested a 'snowowl' variation of the Owlbear.  As you can see, the stark white fur and black-tipped feathers is a nice contrast and even enhances his visual ferocity.  After painting him, I had the idea to do a variety of owlbear styles based on environment.  For example, a tropical variation based on a bird of paradise or a sand-hue with red, blue, black and golds inspired by Egyptian Hieroglyphic-stylized owls and so on.  I'll be ordering more and will post them as completed.


I'll be protecting this mini with a coat of matte spray sealant, as he will be used as a recurring foe for tabletop gaming purposes.  I considered doing a snowy base similar to the 'Snow Patrol' mini I posted earlier here.  Since he was not going to be a display piece, I elected to do the grit and rock base, which will hold up much, much longer.  After a matte sealant is applied, this mini will enjoy feasting on many a player-character.

No comments:

Post a Comment